Wednesday, June 17, 2009

More on being a hostaholic

Thought I'd share another hosta photo or two with you today to show you what not to do if you start adding them to your garden.

When I started collecting hostas in 2005 I had no concept of size. I would purchase small Tissue Cultures (tc), pop them in the ground and nurture them. I guarded them against encroaching weeds and watered them regularly. They rewarded me by growing into mounds of beautiful foliage.

Most of my purchases were through the internet, there were so many more there to choose from than at the local nursery. Unfortunately when looking at them online there was no sense of scale, so I was clueless as to what the mature size of the plant was, I thought that the hostas would fill out, not increase in mass the way they have.

Here's a photo of a small spot that has way too many hostas packed in it. I'll be moving them around a bit so that they can spread out and mature as they should.



Here's another spot that had way too much going on here. It isn't as bad, because the hostas here consist of minis and dwarf varieties, but it's still way too crowded.



The gardens are a work in progress, I'm always moving things around in the landscape and replanting. This isn't a bad thing, as things grow they need either pruned or moved. especially with hostas. I have a few that were very tempermental. They failed in health, so I did what I thought right and that was to move the hosta to a spot that would give it more sun light. Yes light. I know we all think that hostas are shade plants, but in truth they are shade tolerant. they need light to flourish just like any other chlorophyll producing plant.

Here is a picture of one of my mature hostas, this is hosta 'Gold Standard'. A wonderful plant, I recommend that everyone have this one. Talk about the easiest plant there is to grow, this one is a winnder every time.



Sigh, I don't know what I'm going to do when all my hostas mature, I might have to move!

CD~

No comments:

Post a Comment