Monday, May 24, 2010

Creatures from the deep lagoon, or at least from the sludge bucket in the studio

I forgot to post this. Quite awhile ago I took pictures of two pieces I had created at the studio.

My brother commented that the smaller one resembles Audrey from “Little Shop of Horrors”, and that the taller one at the rear “needed wheels”.



And of course I grudgingly agreed with him on both counts. Sigh, the one is definitely a good candidate for Cinderella’s carriage.

They’re both very organic in nature; I had a lot of fun creating them, although they are more about the individual parts/steps than the finished piece. The “coach” was especially fun to work on, because I went wild with a new texturing tool I’d gotten at the ceramic supply store. The surface of the pot almost had the feel of a cantaloupe skin. And then when I poked and prodded it, it took on a textile quality. Of course I got even further carried away, because our teacher handed me a slip trailing tool and I went hog wild with that as well. The end result just makes me laugh; they're definitely not serious in nature, and that’s ok. You can almost hear Martha’s stoic words ring out, “Pottery, it’s a good thing”.

CD~

No comments:

Post a Comment