Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tip toe through the toilets with me

My place of employ is housed in an older building, but it’s been renovated decently. That is with the exception of one of the women’s restrooms. There are two ladies’ rooms, one is newer and nicer to use, the other has seen better days. I’m fortunate that the nicer one is close to my office, while the other is across the building. The older one is tiny with three stalls, while the newer one is large, tiled nicely and has six stalls. The roomiest is the handicapped stall in the nicer bathroom. You could stretch out and take a nap in it if you were so inclined.

But I digress.

Yesterday I felt the need for a “health break”, so I got up and made my way to the nicer ladies’ room, unfortunately it was closed for cleaning, so reluctantly I trekked over to the older facility. I walked in and saw that the two end toilets were not useable. The first had a wad of toilet paper in it the size of a large cantaloupe, and the other looked like someone had been ripped inside out and died in it. So it was a no-brainer, I opted for the center commode. I was in and out in a minute, I pulled the flush handle and went to the sink to wash my hands, and it was at the sink that I looked in the mirror and realized that all three toilets had decided to overflow onto the floor. I was horrified, but I had enough smarts to realize that I’d better escape before I was trapped by a sea of sewage! I ran out and down the hall to get help from our maintenance man, who came running when he heard my cries.

After listening to him parse out a string of expletives for crimes I did not commit, he blocked off the entrance with an “out of order” sign and called Roto-Rooter.

And as I walked back to my desk several things came to mind. First, “now I know those ugly drains are functional and not for looks," second, “yuck, I'll never invite any of the women from the office to my home," and lastly "how does one extract a wad of toilet paper that large from the toilet?" Makes one shudder just thinking about it.

Sigh, never a dull moment.

CD~

No comments:

Post a Comment